Sunday, June 15, 2008

In the Presence of My Enemies.

Yesterday, I finished the book In the Presence of My Enemies by Gracia Burnham. What a good book. Well, I don't feel right saying it was a good book since it's true account of being kidnapped and held hostage by terrorists in the jungle for over a year. Here's Gracia's website synopsis:
For American missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham, what started out as a relaxing, once-in-a-lifetime anniversary getaway at an exotic island resort turned into one of the most horrific nightmares imaginable. Kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf, a terrorist group with ties to Osama bin Laden, the Burnhams were snatched away from friends and family and thrust into a life on the run in the Philippine jungle. During a perilous year in captivity, they faced near starvation, constant exhaustion, frequent gun battles, coldhearted murder—and intense soul-searching about a God who sometimes seemed to have forgotten them.

Wow. I have thought so much about Gracia and Martin this last week. I've even dreamt about the jungle more than I ever imagine I would. My mother in law has even met Gracia. What amazing strength God gave these two when they felt they had none on their own. I'm reminded of a verse I just found in our Psalms of Ascent study:

Psalm 84:7 - They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.

God only gives us the amount of strength we need for that moment until fresh strength is given.

1 comment:

Amie said...

That looks like a good book! I recognize their faces from the news.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...