Saturday, June 17, 2006

Will my nosehair recover?

It’s 9:40 and both boys are in bed (not necessarily asleep – Andrew’s been up several times).  But get this, AJ’s been in bed since 8:00.  What?!  That’s actually makes me more nervous than happy.  I’m almost hoping he wakes up soon, so I that he won’t wake up ready to go in the middle of the night.  But right now, it’s nice to have a quiet house so early.

Tonight for dinner, I treated Andrew to a trip to McDonald’s.  I love their dollar menu…we can eat for little cash.  And again, Andrew ate a double cheeseburger and some fries.   Toward the end of the dinner, AJ started to get fussy.  I went to get him out of his car seat and realized that he had a blowout through his diaper, through his onesie and in his car seat.  At that point, we were almost done eating and even though I had another diaper and outfit with me…this was just too much and since we weren’t far from home, we just packed up and headed in that direction.

But as soon as I walked in the house, I smelled something horrible.  Something hot or even burning.  It was strong.   I set AJ down, tell Andrew to stay in the kitchen and ran to basement thinking I should have grabbed our fire extinguisher on the way down it smelled so bad.  I had started the dryer before I left, so that ran through my mind first.  Not the dryer.  I checked the sump pump…nope.   I ran back up and made sure there was no gas running from the stove and even tested our carbon monoxide detector.  (yes, I know carbon monoxide has no smell, but I was at a loss).  I then checked every room I the house trying to figure out what was burning.  I even checked the windows.  It was so hot today that I thought possibly maybe somehow the sun got magnified (by a toy, glass, etc…) and melted something.  Nope.  Finally, I open the dishwasher (I also started that before I left).   As soon as I opened the door, the smell about knocked me over. Um… yea, a bottle lid fell to the bottom and totally melted into a plastic puddle.  I got it cleaned up and I was thankful that all it was.

But now, I still had a blowout to clean up.  Ahh, motherhood.   I got AJ cleaned up, then I got Andrew in the tub and he got to watch a Thomas the Tank movie before bed while drinking a “black cow” (2/3rds milk & 1/3rd root beer).  I finished emptying the dishwasher, got a shower myself & snuck a snack once the boys went down.  I still need to get things together for tomorrow (going to be tricky getting us all up and out for church tomorrow).  

I heard from Marc not too long ago and he is having a good time and the fishing is good.  He is missed but will be home tomorrow evening.  Happy Father’s Day!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...