Thursday, March 1, 2007

Granola Momma.

I didn't get a lot done today, due to a clingy kid. However, during naptime I did some baking. Without decent snack items in the house - Andrew thinks every snack should be sugared cereal. So, I made muffins, banana bread, and my own creation that I am very proud of... A little something I have dubbed White ChocoCran Granola Bars. Yes, my very own recipe. And - they are good. Real good. Surprisingly good. If you like granola bars - that is. Generally, I am recipe thief. I love Allrecipes.com. Over half of what we eat comes from that site. And I've tried a few granola bar recipes, but nothing that I loved. So I tweaked and tweaked, and... ta da. Below is my very own recipe. I give it 5 stars. (And surprisingly - the muffins, the banana bread, and bars all took mostly the same ingredients).

White ChocoCran Granola Bars

  • 1.5 cups quick oats
  • ½ cup Grape Nuts
  • ¾ cup packed brown sugar
  • ½ cup wheat germ
  • ½ cup whole wheat flour
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour minus 1 T.
  • 1 tablespoon soy flour
  • ½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
  • ½ cup white chocolate chips, chopped
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup honey
  • ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, Grape Nuts, brown sugar, wheat germ, flours, cranberries, chocolate chips and salt.
  3. In separate smaller bowl, mix the honey, applesauce, egg, oil and vanilla. Pour into dry ingredients and mix. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
  4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Cool completely.

Don’t be fooled by all the ‘healthy’ ingredients. These really are good.
~

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...