Monday, January 28, 2008

Preschool Woes

A warning to preschool parents. "By the time you figure out that your child is old enough to attend preschool, it is time to enroll them... now!"

I knew preschool was an option for Andrew, who will be four in March. And being the social kid he is, he would LOVE it! He still talks about going to school (from back when I was working and he was in daycare). I knew I needed to probably start researching them here in a few months before he started in the fall. Oh no! I found out last week that enrollment for preschools is NOW. I hadn't even started researching them. Oh... and I also found out they are expensive! Yikes!

So, I spent a good portion of the weekend online - doing as much research as possible - making lists to compare the different options. Then, this morning, I starting making calls for all the information I couldn't get via Google. I was disheartened. From what I had found out... it looked like Andrew just wasn't going to be attending preschool. I'd rather send him to college. We were almost ready to write off preschool.

And we were OK with this. I would just work with him at home... and between church, Bible Study, gym time, library, etc... he gets the social aspect.

Then... I made a final call to a church about 10 minutes from here and talked to the sweetest women who would be Andrew's teacher. She spent so much more time explaining to me what his day would be like and the curriculum that I think I really wanted Andrew to attend there before she even mentioned the price. Then - the icing on the cake - the cost is about 1/3 to 1/2 less than everywhere else!

So - we are checking it out tomorrow morning... squeezing it in between Marc's 7am Bible Study and my 9:30am Bible Study. Open enrollment is this Thursday (I told you it was like NOW) - so he needed to get it in soon. Who knows... maybe Andrew will be signed up tomorrow for preschool next fall, maybe we will keep looking, or maybe he will be home with us. Who knows.

Big decision for a big boy.

2 comments:

Amie said...

That is a big decision. I had no idea preschool enrollment started this early!

Rebecca H. said...

We went through the same thing with Isaac, but in the end, we just couldn't justify spending the crazy $$ for the programs that still had available openings. I figure it will all even out in the end. Good luck! I hope you like this place as much after you visit! It sounds promising!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...