Thursday, August 28, 2008

Things I Love.... Thanks Mom.

The thing I love today is my new pan! (or maybe it's a pot.)

You see... a good pan to make rice krispy treats is hard to find. I'm serious. First of all... it has to be big enough. You don't want sticky krispy's sloshing over the side. But it also has to be light. If you need both hands to lift the pan upside down, how are you going to scoop the rice krispies out? Finally, it has to be Teflon coated. Melted marshmallows are about as sticky as they come and well.... enough said.

You wouldn't think that a pan like this would be that hard to find. On the contrary. You can't find one anywhere, unless you are willing to buy a box set that has an additional pots and pans that I don't need. So, we have been a rice krispy treat free home for quite a while now, ever since my last pan started flaking the Teflon making our treats seem peppered. Rice krispy treats are a family favorite - so a new pan was needed.

Finally, my mom found one. Macy's to the rescue! Tonight - we put the pressure on the pan.

I enjoy reading The Pioneer Woman's cooking website. So I am taking a leap into her usual format to show off new pan's ability to make what it was made the do... make Rice Krispy Treats! (As if anyone needed any help or instructions making these).


Who would have thought that these three measly ingredients would do so much for the taste buds.

I start by lining a pan (in this case a cereal box missing a side - something I use often in freezer cooking) with foil. I then spray that foil with non-stick spray. I also like the cereal box over a cake pan... it's a little smaller so the treats a little thicker.

I also take a sheet of wax paper and spray it good with non-stick spray. It comes in play later.


Notice the plastic spatula. No metal against my new pan. No No No. Add one half stick of margarine to the pan and let it melt....



...and bubble.


Add 1 bag of mini marshmallows. I think that's about six cups.


Stir until all the individual mellows melt into one giant mellow mushpuddle.




Add six cups of rice krispy cereal. Stir until some of the mellow mushpuddle hugs each and every piece of krispy cereal.

Now the most amazing part of this whole show I didn't even capture on film. (Can I even use that expression anymore in this digital age?) It was me turning my new pan upside down with one hand and with my other hand guiding the oohy-gooey-oh-so-yummy mess easily into my lined box with ease. Ahhhh...


Remember that sprayed wax paper. Enter scene. Cover treats, sprayed side down and pressed gently and evenly.


Let cool and turn on Word World just to keep little boys from asking you for the millionth time if the kwispy tweats are ready yet.


Once cool - or at least cooled enough they stick together somewhat, remove the foil lined treats from the box, lay on cutting board and...


Oooooh. Aaaaaahhhhhh.


Mmmmmmmmmmmm.


Good Pan = Happy Mommy = Happy Family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have a lot of time on your hands

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...