Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Works for Me Wednesday: AWANA.

Oh how I love AWANA. Love. Love. Love AWANA!

When Andrew was in preschool, we loved that he was getting taught the Bible along with his ABC's and 123's. However, his current school doesn't teach the Bible. And while he does attend church regularly and we have nightly Bible story time at home, we wanted to get the boys involved in something else.

Enter AWANA last fall. Some friends of ours take their kids to a local church and since our church doesn't offer AWANA, we signed our boys up for that same church. So every week, for very little cost, the boys would get a little Bible teaching and some good exercise and we would get a weekly inexpensive date night. Win, Win, Win!

The boys looked so cute in their little vests. Andrew was a Spark and AJ was a Cubbie (the most adorable Cubbie you have ever seen by the way). And while AJ was learning simple verses like "The Lord is my Sheppard"; Andrew was learning 4-5 complete verses a week. (and more times than not, AJ would pick up on them, too !)

Now, I confess, a few Wednesday’s ago was our final AWANA celebration. They ended the year with a 'Fair'. Each kid got 20 AWANA bucks and they had all kinds of carnival-type games to play and earn tickets. Then the boys could redeem their tickets for prizes. And... the prizes were pretty sweet. No nickel pencil erasers to be seen. Even Marc and I had fun at the fair.

Now that the weather is getting warmer, it will be nice to have another evening of our week free, but I will be looking forward to Awana starting back up in the fall.

And I'm sure that none of the boy's Awana teachers are readers, but I still want to express my gratitude for giving your time, energy and love to my children each week. I truly appreciate what you do!

To find out what works for others, check out We Are That Family.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...