Sunday, October 16, 2005

Go, Dog, Go...I Mean It!

Ok, Andrew has really fallen in love with books in the last couple weeks. This is something I dreamed of ever since I found out I was pregnant. I still have most of my childhood books and had them all aligned nice and neat in his room long before he was born. I would even sit in the rocker, resting the books on my big belly re-reading many of them for the first time in years.

I have many fond memories of sitting in the rocker with my mom while she read me Dr. Seuss after Dr. Seuss until we both had them memorize (and still do). I couldn't wait for that day with my baby.

That day is here.

But it took a while. At first, I was a little disappointed because Andrew really wasn't interested in books. When other kids his age loved to get read to and look at books, he could care less. Books meant holding still and that was out of the question for my busy little man.

But now...he can't get enough. Everyday, every book is pulled off his shelf. But the thing is... he's found a favorite. There were always a handful that he favored over the others, but now...there is one that is distinctly number one. “Go, Dog, Go” by P.D. Eastman.

Both Marc and I have read it at least 4-5 times each just today. (And it’s not a quick short book, either). We are tired of it. He will bring it to us, “Bu-ah, Bu-ah” (That’s Andrew for Book). We’ve gotten to the point that we try to pawn him off on the other spouse….”um….go find Daddy.” Then we were finally begging him, “Andrew, go find your monkey book (‘Hand, Hand, Finger, Thumb’) or your ‘Foot Book’, Mommy will read those!” This wasn’t working either. Then it went to ‘speed reading’ where I would read every 5th page or so…this seemed to work a bit.

At one time, Andrew actually went upstairs to find a new book at my request and found Hooper Humperdink. Alleluia!! Yes, I was excited. Yes, I will read that to you!…. Hop on up here!… I’ll even read every page!…. With voices! (I had to reward the choice for variety.

I got about 5 pages into the book before Andrew closed the book, said “All Done” and went and brought me his Go, Dog, Go book.

Be careful what you wish for…

1 comment:

Jill Corwin said...

AWE! So cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...